Journalista for Dec. 21, 2010: Home stretch

Posted by on December 21st, 2010 at 12:03 AM

“I’ve been laid off from Fantagraphics. Wednesday will be my last day as The Comics Journal‘s newsblogger.”

- Yr. humble servant (until tomorrow, anyway)

Contact me ♦ Follow me
¡Journalista! Homepage ♦ RSS Feed
¡Journalista! 2.0 Archives ♦ ¡Journalista! 1.0 Archives

From “Your Earth Cats Are Delicious” in Nymphonomena, by and ©2010 Betsey Swardlick.

Recently posted to our homepage:

• Rich Kreiner reviews the Lee/Kirby collection Thor: Tales of Asgard, plus the small-press anthology Nymphonomena.
  • Rob Clough reviews the second volume of the Funny Aminals anthology.
  • Over at The Hooded Utilitarian, Noah Berlatsky talks about Moto Hagio as artist and/or as genre writer for girls.

The news, etc…

Above the Fold

Life in interesting times

• Mike Lynch reports that William T. Keough died last Friday at the age of 74:

Bill was the most recent editor of the GAG RECAP trade journal, a professional insider prozine aimed exclusively at gag cartoonists. He edited a number of other journals, including CARTOON OPPORTUNITIES.

• According to Rich Johnston, DC Comics will be making some regressive changes to new creator-ownership contracts. See the link for details.

• Also via Mr. Johnston, word that Chicago’s Brainstorm Movies, Comics and Gaming is up for sale.

• Over at Reason Magazine, Lars Hvidberg and Jacob Mchangama look at the state of free speech in Denmark, five years after the Killer Danish Muhammed Cartoons first appeared in the pages of the Jyllands-Posten newspaper.

¡Journalista! continues after this commercial message.
Graphic NYC

Profiles

Reviews

Commentary

Business and Craft

Comics and Art

Tomorrow: Final thoughts.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Journalista for Dec. 21, 2010: Home stretch”

1. Michael Nicolai says:

If comic books had the equivalent of a Medal of Honor, I would award you with it. Best of luck.

2. Noah Berlatsky says:

This is terrible news. Thank you for all your encouragement and support over the years. Good luck in all your endeavors Dirk.

3. Craig Fischer says:

Dirk, I can’t imagine my weekday mornings without stopping to read Journalista. Thanks for doing such a wonderful job all these years, and please continue to write long think-pieces about the comics market. We need them.

4. Jeff Albertson says:

Aw, Dirk, that’s such a shame. Thanks for all you’ve done over the years for comics and for us.

5. [...] The Comics Journal’s blogger Dirk Deppey has been laid off according to a recent tweet of his. Comics Reporter Tom Spurgeon notes that Deppey’s work on !Journalista! “has remained a primary point of emphasis throughout the magazine’s current, more web-involved run.” You can reach out to Dirk via twitter (@deppey) or leave comments on the TCJ’s message board or his ¡Journalista! blog post. [...]

6. Patrick Markfort says:

Jesus, I’m pretty bummed about this. I have followed Journalista from the beginning and look forward to reading it every morning, although sadly this may be the first time I’ve ever left a comment. Your work here will be greatly missed. Best of luck.

7. David Allan Duncan says:

This is a shock, for sure. This has long been my favorite comic news aggregator, since it’s so well organized and thoughtful. It has also been my go-to required daily reading for my classes. I have no idea what I’ll have my students follow now… Mr. Deppey, I can thank you enough for all of your work over the years.

8. Joe Procopio says:

This is truly disappoitning news. Not sure what the good folks at Fantagraphics are thinking…I was especially concerend when they switched to an annual version of The Comics Journal, and now discontinuing Journalista feels like another nail in the coffin.

Thanks for all of the great work you’ve done over the years, Dirk.

9. [...] is frankly bloody awful news. Dirk’s Journalista and Tom Spurgeon’s Comics Reporter are the two places I visit every single day. Dirk was [...]

10. A heartfelt thanks for all the dedication you brought to the comics medium and its coverage online!! Much love to you!

11. Dirk,

Just wanted to let you know that Journalista was a big part of my morning ritual. I’ve found and bookmarked so many articles and webpages from Journalista that I almost feel guilty that its free. Plus your long-form columns were always thoughtful, entertaining, and enlightening. You and the column will be missed greatly.

Thanks
    -ADRIAN

12. Peter says:

Wow, I too am shocked. Journalista has been part of my evening reading for several years, and I’ve always considered it the most authoritative source for the best writing on comics. Your work will be missed, Dirk. Good luck, and thanks.

13. Rodney says:

Wow – really disappointed to hear it. This was one of my favorite daily stops online! Thanks DD!

14. [...] Deppey, the force behind the essential comic linkblog Journalista, twittered last night that he’d been laid off and his last column will be tomorrow. [...]